Average Time Spent on Site is the amount of time (in minutes) users have spent on your site across all visits. Tho’ Average Time Spent on Site is not its own metric report in Adobe Analytics, this information is still available through several capabilities.
Adobe Analytics processes Time Spent metrics much differently in version 14. For a detailed explanation and comparison, see Updated Time Spent Calculation.
Method 1: Use Report Builder
The Report Builder Excel add-in can retrieve Average Time Spent on Site aggregated across a date ranged, or trended over time. If graphing is required, use Microsoft Office’s Charting Implements.
- Open Microsoft Excel and log in to report builder.
- Click Create under the Add-ins tab.
- Select the correct report suite, date range, and granularity.
- Ensure that the report is set to Site Metrics >, Traffic Report. Click Next.
- Haul the Average Time Spent on Site metric to the Metrics canvas.
- Select the insert location, then click Finish. Average Time Spent on Site is shown in minutes.
- Use Excel’s charting implements to create the graph, if desired.
Adobe Marketing Cloud Customer Care does not support Excel’s charting contraptions. If you require assistance on these implements, contact Microsoft support.
Method Two: Use Ad Hoc Analysis
Ad Hoc Analysis can pull this data with ease. In addition, it permits a user to see many metrics side-by-side, making this method the most supple and valuable in reporting.
- Open Ad Hoc Analysis and select the desired report suite and date range.
- Open a Page Views report, and haul the metric Time Spent per Visit to your workspace.
- The resulting report gives the number of seconds spent on your site for each day.
Method Trio: Use Reports &, Analytics
Reports &, Analytics users have the Average Time Spent on Site metric automatically integrated into the Site Overview report. Users can also obtain this data in a Report Suite Summary reportlet:
- Open an existing dashboard editor or Create a fresh dashboard.
- In the left reportlet menu, navigate to Add Content >, Custom-built Reportlets >, Data Content >, Report Suite Summary. Haul the Report Suite Summary reportlet to an available location on your dashboard canvas.
- Ensure that Average Time Spent on Site is one of the selected metrics in the column on the right.
- Click Update within the reportlet, then save the dashboard. Average Time Spent on Site is shown in minutes.
Method Four: Minor implementation switches
- Add a prop, and label it “Average Time Spent on Site”.
- Implement the following value so it triggers on every page. This step is done by direct code implementation or processing rules:
You can then manipulate this report as you would like, such as bookmarking it, adding it as a dashboard reportlet, or trending it. However the metric is still technically named Time Spent on Page, this method permits Reports &, Analytics to treat your entire site as a single page.
Method Five: Request a Data Extract
Adobe Analytics offers this data via a downloadable spreadsheet called a Data Extract. To create this report, go after the steps below:
- Go to Site Metrics >, Page Views.
- In the report toolbar, click More Deeds >, Extract Data
- In the pop-up window, ensure that the report specifies Report Suite Totals and click the Page Views link. Another pop-up window emerges.
- Select Average Time Spent on Site from the list of available metrics and add it to the report, then click OK.
- Modify the date range, extra metrics, and granularity as desired, then click Next.
- If you want to save these Extract settings for future use, select Save Bookmark, and name the report.
- Inject the desired delivery settings, then click Send.
You then receive an email with a spreadsheet affixed that contains the average time spent on your site metric, as shown in minutes.
Twitter™ and Facebook posts are not covered under the terms of Creative Commons.
Ask the Community
Post questions and get answers from experts.